16.5 mile Canoe/Kayak Race
December 8th, 2012
NO Hull Restrictions/Requirements Solo Boats Only
Handicapping to be updated as results become available.
Race registration will be at San Marcos City Park December 8th, 2012 from 8:00 AM till 9:30 AM., Race Briefing at 9:00 AM, Race Start at 10:00 AM.
The San Marcos Solo Race (SMS) will begin in San Marcos City Park at 10 AM. Race length will be 16.5 miles to Staples. The SMS will be a handicapped race. There will be a staggered start based on previous best finishing times or estimated finishing times. All solo boat types will be allowed. If you can beat your best finishing time, you can be the first boat to finish. You can use any solo boat and may change from year to year.
How it works:
1. Racers who have completed the San Marcos Solo or Jr. Texas Water Safari, as a solo paddler, during the period 1994 to 2012 are known as "qualified" racers.
2. Qualified racer handicaps will be based on the racer's best solo finishing time in either the San Marcos Solo (SMS) or Jr. Texas Water Safari (Jr. TX) Races from 2007-2012 if available or previous best time..
3. Participants who do not have an official finishing time on this course will be placed in the "non-qualified category" and allowed to estimate their finishing time.
4. The race judge may adjust a non-qualified racers estimated finishing time based on judgment and the racer's relative performance against the other competitors in similar races.
5. Non-qualified racers are eligible for all awards.
The racer with the fastest prior time on the racecourse will have a "0" handicap. The next fastest finishers over the course shall have handicaps equal to the difference in the number of minutes that they have finished behind the fastest paddler. In other words: if Racer A has completed the course in 2 hours and Racer B has completed the course in 2 hours and five minutes, Racer B will have a five minute handicap.
All racers who have not completed the course or who are not expected to complete the race in less than three hours shall start en mass at 10:00 AM. Racers who are expected to complete the course in less than three hours will start individually in reverse order on the one-minute interval that corresponds to their handicap.
There are no boat classes for the San Marcos Solo. Special Recognition based on boat type is listed under “Awards”
1. Mandatory portages at Thompson's Island, Cummings Dam and Martindale Dam. The portage at Martindale Dam will be from the takeout above the dam to below Martindale Low Water Bridge. Portaging across either Thompson's Island or the public road is prohibited unless directed by race officials. All mandatory portages will be marked.
2. New equipment or repair assistance may be obtained during the race only for damaged or failing equipment.
3. The use of portage carts is allowed.
4. Food, water and clothing hand-offs will be allowed during the race. Hand-offs from boats are not allowed.
5. Overtaking boats have the right of way.
6. Deliberately impeding or ramming another racer/boat is grounds for disqualification.
7. All racers will begin and finish the race with a functional, appropriately sized and easily accessible personal flotation device.
8. All boats will have adequate flotation to float when filled with water.
9. Any racer who abandons the race must report to the finish line Judge in Staples. Failure to do so will result in banishment from future races.
10. Unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated, even if you swim.
11. Whiners will be banished from future races.
Awards will be given to the first six finishers across the finish line. All paddlers regardless of age or sex will have an equal opportunity to finish first based on their handicap. Special recognition will be given to the Fastest Overall, Female, Master’s, Senior’s, Solo Unlimited, ICF K-1, Recreational, USCA, and the most improved time.
There will be a hamburger cookout at the finish for all participants and for those attending the TCRA General Meeting.
Entry fee will be $15. All participants must sign a waiver and paddlers under the age of 18 must have a waiver signed by their parent or guardian. Race registration will be at San Marcos City Park on race day from 8:00 AM till 9:30 AM.
Please contact Jay Daniel with an acknowledgment of participation at 281-787-2271 or E-mail
Paddling on free flowing rivers may be dangerous. In particular, recent floods on the San Marcos River may have created new channels, downed trees and created new obstructions. River levels and current on race day may be higher than normal. Low water bridges crossing the San Marcos River course are a particular danger in high water conditions. Racers should be familiar with paddling in rivers, strong currents, avoiding hazards and obstructions and self-rescue techniques. Furthermore, all race participants are advised to familiarize themselves with the race course prior to the race.
No on-site rescue personnel will be available during the race. It is strongly advised that each racer has a team captain to monitor their progress during the race and to provide water and nutrients to the racer during the race.
Weather in December may vary from warm and sunny to freezing temperatures and rain. All participants are advised to have appropriate clothing available to them during the race and at the finish line area.